This King Ranch Casserole is a great recipe that keeps well in the fridge.
King Ranch Casserole
I found a recipe on this casserole but it included ingredients that were high in fat, cholesterol and calories. So I thought I’d bring all that down a notch and make it healthier.
- 3 med sized chicken breast cut into half inch pieces
- 2 tbsp ghee or unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup worth blur tortilla chips
- 1 onions chopped
- 1 small jalapeño cored, seeded and chopped fine
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cans unsalted diced tomatoes
- 5 tbsp cassava flour (I used mine from Otto’s)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups low fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro (set aside 1 tbsp for top garnish)
In a dutch oven, heat ghee or unsalted butter on medium high heat. Add chopped onions, jalapeño, and ground cumin. Cook until lightly browned. Stir in tomatoes and the juices inside the kitchen and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 mins. Stir in the flour and cook for one minute. Add broth and bring to a simmer and cook until thickened. Add chicken and cook for about 10 mins. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Add all of the cheese and 2 tbsp of cilantro. Stir. Remove from heat and let cool 5 mins. Preheat oven to 450F.
In a 13 x 9 casserole pan, add 1/2 cup tortillas slightly crushed. Add half chicken mixture to casserole pan, then add remaining slightly crushed chips on top. Bake for 15 mins. Remove from heat, garnish with remaining tbsp of cilantro and you’re all set.
I cooked mine with 1 cup of whole milk greek yogurt but it did not like the way it came out. Flavor was good but it did not look appealing to me. You might like it so give it a try if you’d like. Enjoy!