More often than not, you hear parents complain that their kids won’t eat anything, they’re picky and they press their mouths closed at the thought of trying a new food. Parenting is a game of patience and teaching… if we have any hope of our kids eating (and cooking) better than us, we need to show them the way.
One of the easiest ways to get kids to become fantastic eaters is by getting them involved in the cooking process.
How Can Kids Help in the Kitchen?
- Big helpers – Let them wash fruits and vegetables when preparing
for cooking or eating.
- Future shoppers! – When shopping, let them select a new fruit or vegetable to try … or several!
- Make It Snappy – Let them snap the green beans, snap peas, or break the flowerets from the
broccoli or cauliflower.
- Cooking entertainment – Let them cook along with their favorite YouTubers
- Tear It Up – Let them tear the lettuce for salads and sandwiches.
- Measure Up – Let them measure the frozen vegetables before cooking them.
See How Much You Need
- Peel and Slice – Older children can peel and slice carrots, cucumbers, potatoes … the list goes on!
- Stir and Spice – Make applesauce from fresh apples. Let them help stir and add the cinnamon.
- Simple Recipes – Let them see the process start to finish
- Monster Mash – Pull out the potato masher!