I recently tried this healthier version of a Shepherd’s Pie and knew that I had to share the recipe with you guys! This meal is nostalgic for me since I ate it growing up but I had never tried it with sweet potatoes and turkey before. This is a new favorite.
Yield: 4 servings
Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 2 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 12 minutes
This easy sweet potato shepherd’ s pie recipe is perfect for those who love comfort food but don’t have much time to cook.
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped
- 1 bag of frozen peas
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- In a large skillet, cook the chopped sweet potatoes on medium heat with water and salt and cover with the lid for 10 minutes or until they are soft.
- Remove from the stove and mash the potatoes in a separate bowl. In the same skillet, add olive oil, onions and garlic.
- Let simmer for 3-4 minutes and then add in the ground turkey, seasoning, tomato paste and broth.
- After the turkey has cooked all the way through, add in the peas and cook on low for another 5-7 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Empty the skillet into a baking pan and then top with the sweet potatoes.
- Place the pan in the oven and set a timer for 25 minutes.
- Remove the pan after the timer has gone off and let rest on the stove for 10 minutes.
- You can now separate the pan into four containers and enjoy throughout the week either cold, or reheated in the microwave! This recipe makes four meals.
Serving Size:1 meal
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 307Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0.02gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 2154mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 30g